Webinars by Practice Area
UK GDPR – basic principles
Recorded on: 05/02/2024
Data protection legislation has an increasingly pervasive impact in many areas of law. Consequently, all practitioners need to be aware of the basic tenets. This webinar is aimed at those who have little previous experience of these issues and is intended to give them a succinct overview of the key, relevant concepts.
The key topics for discussion will include:
- What do the key terms of the UK GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018 mean?
- What are the principles and what do they mean practically for firms and for employees?
- What are rules on consent?
- What other reasons can we use for processing personal data as an alternative to consent?
Data Subjects’ Rights
- What are the key rights that data subjects have?
- What do we need to do if we receive a request from a data subject?
- What enforcement options are available to the ICO?
- In what circumstances will the ICO issue a civil monetary penalty?
- What are the factors considered by the ICO in determining the amount?
- What mitigating steps can we take to reduce the likelihood of a civil monetary penalty?