Webinars by Practice Area
SRA Standards and Regulations – Risks Challenges and Opportunities
Recorded on: 27/11/2020
A year after their introduction the ‘new’ Standards and Regulations (STARs) are with us and in full force. What difference have they made to you and your working life? Maybe not much.
That said, there are some threats lurking in amongst the new Codes of Conduct, not least of which is that we have lost our monopoly on employing ‘solicitors’ to advise the general public. Other organisations can now offer seemingly the same product as we do to our client-base, possibly more cheaply and more accessibly than we do. But, there are risks to the legal advice gained from those other, possibly unregulated, service providers.
Despite the Covid restrictions private practice has returned, up to a point at least, and the SRA Resources that have been published offer some thoughts on the measures the regulators would be looking for in the systems and procedures firms should have in place. They also offer some thoughts on client care letters and communications and insurance cover. But some key questions still need answering.
Fee-earning and administrative staff would both benefit from this updating seminar which will consider:
- An outline of the new Rules
- New possibilities for firms
- New possibilities for individual solicitors – who is offering the best package?
- New insurance possibilities – ‘adequate and appropriate’ cover
- Client care communications – some thoughts
- Requirements of non-regulated employers
- The SRA ‘logo’
- Legal professional privilege