Webinars by Practice Area
Retail Leases in a Changing World Part 1 – Turnover Rents, New Use Classes Order, Breaking the Lease, Quiet Enjoyment and Derogation from Grant
Recorded on: 25/01/2021
This 2-part webinar looks at the impact of increased internet shopping, lockdowns and Covid 19 on retail leases: tackling both retailers’ needs to limit outgoings and obtain future flexibility, and landlords’ needs for certainty of rental stream and good tenant mix.
The 1st of 2 sessions covers:
- Managing the downturn – tips & traps
- Planning issues & the new Use Classes Order;
- Breaking the lease & compliance with conditions;
- Turnover rents: drafting for the internet age;
- Quiet enjoyment and derogation from grant – tenants’ rights where landlords
- Change access; Platt v London Underground
- Landlord’s works: Jafari v Tareem; Timothy Taylor v Mayfair;
- More tips & traps for managing the downturn
- Change of use & alterations: landlord’s consent?
- ‘keep open’ covenants, anchor tenants & the impact on rent
- Terminal dilapidations – is there any point? Supersession & diminution post COVID
- The impact of the Corporate Insolvency and Governance Act 2020;
- Landlord insolvency: lessons from the Intu administration
- Tenant insolvency: the Debenhams CVA – what landlord remedies remain?