Webinars by Practice Area
Pre-Nuptial Agreements and Inheritances
Recorded on: 17/06/2021
Family practitioners increasingly have to not only advise on but also draft and follow through nuptial agreements. Traditionally, these took the form of prenuptial and post-nuptial agreements.
The first part of this webinar will consider these agreements in relation to the developing case law over the years, in particular:
- Development of prenuptial agreements
- Consideration of significant case law, including Radmacher v. Granatino  UKSC 42
- The use of nuptial agreements and the matters to consider when drafting
- The benefits of having such agreements
- Nuptial agreements, deed of marriage and special contribution arguments
- Nuptial agreements and meeting needs, with reference to developments surrounding Ipekci v McConnell 2019 EWFC 19
The second part of this webinar will look at the position with inheritance, when courts are dividing financial assets in both marital and civil partnership breakdown.
There will be consideration of the position with inheritance, with particular regard to case law authorities, including Robson v. Robson (2010) EWCA Civ 1171
We will also look at marital and non – marital property, following the principles in WX v HX (Treatment of Matrimonial and Non-Matrimonial Property) (2021) EWHC 241 (Fam)
Finally, we will consider the circumstances surrounding anticipated/future inheritance, and the position with cases such as Alireza v Radwan and Others 2017 EWCA Civ 1545