Webinars by Practice Area
Pre-Emption Rights – Tips and Traps
Recorded on: 30/06/2020
Some rights of pre-emption (or rights of first refusal) are imposed by statute, such as those granted to residential tenants under Part 1 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987 and those relating to ACVs (Assets of Community Value), but others are contained in transfers and other documents. Do you know what you need to look out for, whether acting on residential or commercial property? This webinar focuses on the main issues, including:
- When is the pre-emption right enforceable?
- What does “proposing to dispose” mean? Is it different from “intending to dispose”?
- How long should the grantee have to exercise the right?
- What should the purchase price be?
- Problems when protecting the rights at the Land Registry or Land Charges Register
- What perpetuity period applies to rights granted before April 2010?