Webinars by Practice Area
Minimising and Ending Lease Obligations for Struggling Tenants Part 1
Recorded on: 29/10/2020
Part 1 of a two-part webinar. Part 2 will be available from 26 November.
In March 2020 the Government mandated the closure of all but a very limited number of essential businesses to limit the spread of coronavirus. In spite of the easing of those restrictions many tenants remain unable to re-open – at all or in part – and many tenants may never be able to restart their business. This two part session looks at options available to tenants to ameliorate their lease obligations – breaking or surrendering a lease, and at obtaining landlord’s consent to underletting, change of use and alterations.
Part 1 of this practical webinar series will look at the:
- Break conditions
- Timing is everything
- Rent or all monies – does the Coronavirus Act help?
- Compliance with covenants – how is that achieved with “keep open” covenants, repairing obligations?
- The importance of dilapidations
- Conditions precedent – what to look out for
A second webinar will be available for purchase from 26th November 2020, and will look at:
- Why how the application is made may be crucial
- Assembling the information
- Who to send the application to – and how?
- Pre-conditions – recognising and handling them
- What can a landlord demand? Premium, costs, lease-back, change to lease terms
- When is it reasonable for a landlord simply to say “no”