Webinars by Practice Area
Minimising and Ending Lease Obligations for Struggling Tenants – Landlord’s consent for alterations, change of use, sub-letting: tips for tenants
Recorded on: 26/11/2020
In March 2020 the Government mandated the closure of all but a very limited number of essential businesses to limit the spread of coronavirus. In spite of the easing of those restrictions many tenants remain unable to re-open – at all or in part – and many tenants may never be able to restart their business. This two part session looks at options available to tenants to ameliorate their lease obligations – breaking or surrendering a lease, and at obtaining landlord’s consent to underletting, change of use and alterations.
Part 2 of this practical webinar series will look at:
- Why how the application is made may be crucial
- Assembling the information
- Who to send the application to – and how?
- Pre-conditions – recognising and handling them
- What can a landlord demand? Premium, costs, lease-back, change to lease terms
- When is it reasonable for a landlord simply to say “no”