Webinars by Practice Area
Executing documents using electronic signatures – a review of existing law and recent developments
Recorded on: 27/03/2023
The law on electronic signatures is set out in the common law, the Electronic Communications Act 2000 and in Regulation (EU) No 910/2014 (the eIDAS Regulation).
This webinar will review the content of the existing law, will summarise the relevant guidance from the Law Society and Law Commission and will highlight recent developments.
Topics will include:
- contracts that require a signature
- analysis of relevant case law
- validity of e-mailed invoices – Elias v Wallace LLP  EWHC 2574 (SCCO)
- admissibility of electronic signatures under ss7-8 of the Electronic Communications Act 2000
- definition and effect of ‘electronic signatures’ under the eIDAS Regulation
- different types of electronic signatures
- alterations to the rules on signing and witnessing wills
- changes in respect of HM Land Registry rules