Webinars by Practice Area
Executing Documents Using Electronic Signatures
Available from: 23/04/2021
Even prior to Covid 19, an increasing number of businesses and law firms were using electronic signatures and this approach has gathered pace in the last twelve months. However, there remains a great deal of confusion as to the validity of such signatures and whether they satisfy specific formalities required in certain types of contract.
Guidance is available from case law, the Electronic Communications Act 2000, the eIDAS Regulation and also in publications produced by the Law Society and the Law Commission.
This webinar will review the content of the existing law and will examine a series of practical issues that need to be borne in mind.
Topics will include:
- review of guidance and reports produced by the Law Society and the Law Commission
- overview of different types of electronic signatures that can be used
- key points from relevant case law
- key provisions of the eIDAS Regulation
- use of pre-signed signature pages
- changes to HM Land Registry rules
- changes to the Wills Act 1837
- series of practical steps to consider