Webinars by Practice Area
Defamation – meaning, defences and remedies
Recorded on: 20/09/2021
The ever-increasing use of social media as a form of communication and as a place to express opinions has led to a corresponding increase in actions for defamation arising from, amongst other sources, Twitter, Instagram and Trustpilot. In this webinar we will examine the key recent cases involving household names and less well-known protagonists and will look at what lessons can be learned so as to successfully pursue or defend such claims.
Topics will include:
- Vardy v Rooney – how do the courts determine meaning of words and level of severity?
- Colier, Riley, Oberman v Bennett – when will the courts grant a Norwich Pharmacal Order?
- Millet v Corbyn – how do the courts differentiate between statements of fact and opinion?
- Riley v Sivier – what are the key components of the defence of substantial truth?
- Foster v Jessen – how do the courts assess damages?
- Summerfield Browne v Waymouth – when will the courts make an order for removal?