Webinars by Practice Area
Costs challenges after Belsner
Recorded on: 14/11/2022
On 27 October, the Court of Appeal – led by the Master of the Rolls – handed down judgment in both Belsner and Karatysz. While the solicitors in Belsner won, they did not come out unscathed and there are a lot of lessons to learn from both cases on deductions from damages, informed consent and challenges to bills. The consequences for costs disputes will be far-reaching, not least with 900 other actions stayed pending the outcome and the court indicating its desire for reform, including of the distinction between contentious and non-contentious business. In this webinar, Professor Dominic Regan will consider the judgments and what it means for solicitors who want to lawfully deduct a costs contribution from clients. Topics will include:
- What precisely did Belsner and Karatysz decide?
- Is Herbert affected?
- Is this the death knell for the Checkmylegalfees model?
- How might client challenges be pursued in future?
- What steps can firms take to mitigate the risk of challenges?
- The one change to make immediately to your bills!