Webinars by Practice Area
Changing Renewal Lease Terms under the 1954 Act
Recorded on: 22/04/2021
Given the impact of coronavirus and Brexit on tenants’ need for space as well as their commercial viability, how will you advise clients in the context of lease renewal? In light of O’May can you obtain better terms for your client? What terms should you be looking to change, and what sort of evidence will you need to persuade the court to sanction a change in the lease terms? This session considers:
- Turnover rents – are they possible, and the evidence needed: National Car Parks Limited v Hawksworth Securities Plc
- Obtaining greater flexibility
- Tenant’s break options – why are they so difficult to obtain and what evidence might help?
- Will the courts sanction softening of the alterations, user or alienation covenants?
- Can the tenant insist on a lease of a smaller part?