Webinars by Practice Area
Anti Money Laundering Update 2020
Recorded on: 09/10/2020
Amid Covid disruption, we are now three years on from the MLR 2017 and the profession’s attempts to comply with anti-money laundering obligations continues. This one-hour webinar considers the basics of the legislative regime and explores the approach of the SRA, in particular to the implementation and effectiveness of the regime introduced in the 2017 Regulations, as amended by the 2019 Amendment Regulations. It also includes an update on what the SRA has found as a result of its investigations into law firms’ procedures undertaken throughout 2019 and 2020 and gives an insight into where it will focus its attentions next.
Topics covered include:
- Key PoCA duties and legislative risks
- Cybercrime overlaps
- The attitude of NCA to suspicious activity reports – how should they be drafted?
- Key inclusions of the MLTF Regulations 2017
- Key inclusions of the MLTF Amendment Regulations 2019
- Risk assessments – the three layers: Treasury, SRA and law firms
- SRA investigations
- CDD – the key aspects to focus on
- PEP provisions – what do we do when we find one?
- Are electronic searches the way forward?
- Other considerations – ongoing monitoring
- What are the regulators looking for, exactly?