By Legal Futures’ Associates Exterro
We are now producing the same amount of data every two days as we did from the beginning of time up to 2003. The exponential growth of data is undisputed, but the numbers behind this explosion—fuelled by IoT and the use of connected devices—are hard to comprehend.
- 294 billion emails are sent each day
- 2 billion minutes of voice and video calls are made
- 65 billion WhatsApp messages are sent
- 4 TeraBytes of data produced by a connected car
- 28 Petabytes of data will be generated from wearable devices in 2020
The accumulated digital universe of data in 2013 was 4.4 zettabytes—for 2020 alone, it’s expected to be 44 zettabytes. This explosion of data has created enormous challenges in E-Disclosure that require practices to constantly evolve and professionals to continue to sharpen their tools.
Exterro teamed up with ACEDS to discuss the major challenges caused by increasing data volumes, including:
- Cost: all costs increase, proportionality
- Time: more data = longer project timelines
- People: new technical skills, communication
- Process: more issues throughout EDRM (Electronic Disclosure Reference Model)
- Regulatory: greater risk of non-compliance
- Technical: new types of data, new data sources
- Systematic: systems, applications, tools, convergence with Data Privacy
- Clients: expectations—more data, but no additional time or budget
The industry experts on the panel, including Andy Houston (Grant Thornton UK LLP), James Merritt (Apogee Corporation) and Damian Murphy (Lighthouse Global), shared their insight and practical solutions on how to tackle the snowballing data volumes in E-Disclosure.
Click the link below to watch the webinar replay and learn how to navigate the complexities created by the exploding data volumes.