Certainty Expert Webinars: Making your Will Files Bullet Proof
18th August 2020 - Online
Certainty Expert Webinar presents Michael Culver, Partner, Bolt Burdon
We’re pleased to welcome Michael Culver, Partner at Bolt Burdon who will be presenting our next Certainty Expert Webinar on Tuesday 18th August at 12.00pm, titled ‘Making your Will Files Bullet Proof: Top tips to ensure your more difficult Will clients involving capacity issues or contentious family matters will stand up to scrutiny following a Larke v Nugus request’.
If you’ve ever received a Larke v Nugus request about a Will you or your firm have drafted, you will have experienced that momentary feeling of dread whilst you request the file from your archive and examine the contents. Is this water tight? Are there any grounds upon which a challenge or a complaint can be raised? Did I fully follow the correct procedure.? The truth is, it’s very easy for busy practitioners to overlook issues that could arise later. This may become increasingly apparent given that Will can currently be made using electronic means. During this webinar we will examine a fictional case study of a Will file that is now being contested post death with the intent being to show you what not to do. The steps you should take if you receive such a request and some top tips before, during and after the Will making process to help ensure your files stand up to scrutiny and how best to manage making a Will using electronic digital means.
- What not to do: The example terrible Will file – making the litigators life too easy
- Before taking instructions, the basics during the process and the Golden Rule
- Drafting the Will and the benefit of attendance notes, side letters and additional instructions from the client
- What to consider when completing the Will and notes for yourself should challenges occur later
- How best to manage Wills made via Zoom/Skype etc, the practicalities and how to limit claims being brought