Council for Licensed Conveyancers
The Council for Licensed Conveyancers (CLC) regulates law firms specialising in conveyancing and/or probate.
Our mission is to protect the public interest, provide consumer choice and to promote effective competition in the legal services market. We do so by setting entry standards and regulating providers to deliver high quality, accessible legal services.
We were established to foster innovation and competition in the legal services market and that continues to guide our approach today. We seek to support firms in finding new ways to meet consumer needs and expectations and develop thriving legal businesses.
What we do
Our regulatory activities include:
- setting educational and training standards for entry to the profession
- issuing licences to practise to those qualified to provide conveyancing and probate services and to Alternative Business Structures
- maintaining a register of all CLC regulated lawyers and regulated bodies
- setting standards to regulate the professional practice, conduct and discipline of licensed conveyancers and regulated bodies
- setting standards to maintain adequate professional indemnity insurance and a compensation fund to protect consumers
- monitoring the work and conduct of regulated bodies
- providing guidance and advice to regulated bodies to maintain compliance with our regulatory requirements
- investigating allegations of misconduct and where appropriate taking disciplinary action and
- collaborating with key stakeholders in the legal services market to monitor and shape future policy.
Our approach to regulation is proportionate, risk-based and outcomes-focused. Licence holders are required to demonstrate that they:
- act with independence and integrity
- maintain high standards of work
- act in the best interest of clients
- deal with regulators and ombudsmen in an open and cooperative way and
- promote ease of access and service.
We have an exemplary record in regulation and we are committed to promoting the very highest standards in legal services.
Tags: Council for Licensed Conveyancers