Dramatic climbdown from Grayling as portal extension is delayed

Print This Post

24 December 2012


Tonks: proper consideration was sacrificed

In a dramatic climbdown, the Lord Chancellor Chris Grayling has agreed that extension of the RTA portal to higher-value motor and employer’s and public claims will now not happen in April 2013.

The decision, which emerged late on Friday, follows the judicial review process begun last month by the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL) and Motor Accident Solicitors Society (MASS).

MASS said Mr Grayling had acknowledged it would be unlawful to implement the extension of portal because the full evaluation of the existing portal that was promised when this change was announced has not been carried out.

An announcement of the timetable for carrying out the evaluation and a new implementation date is to be made in the New Year. It is not yet clear what this means for the controversial consultation that proposes slashing portal fees by 60%.

READ THE REST OF THIS STORY HERE ON OUR SISTER WEBSITE, LITIGATION FUTURES



Leave a comment

* Denotes required field

All comments will be moderated before posting. Please see our Terms and Conditions

Legal Futures Blog

Neither in nor out but shaking it all about

Nigel Wallis lo res

We’ve started serving English Brexit tea in our office. Some say it leaves a slightly bitter aftertaste while others find it quite refreshing. The suppliers told us they weren’t sure how it would turn out when they were blending it but apparently they’ve thrown out all the old varieties now and so, for good or bad, we’re stuck with it. I feel like a mug right now, as it happens.

July 22nd, 2016